By Greg Thouard, President
2015 has been a marvellous year for planning the 50th anniversary of the Apple & Grape Harvest Eighteen Directors have volunteered their time to the community to bring about a wonderful event. With only 70 days left to festival time, the committee is satisfied most of the planning is complete however new proposals are still being received from the community. It has been decided that 31 December will be cut-off time for ideas and from then it will be a matter of doing the doing so to speak.
What’s new in the planning for 2016:
- Theme colour Gold for 50th Anniversary
- Overall theme “When in Rome…..”
- 10-day festival from 26 February to 6 March
- Return of the Iconic Arches
- Eight Young Ambassadors
- Brand new website www.appleandgrape.org
- Markets Night
- Harvest Thanksgiving Service
- Additional sporting events
- Open Gardens
- Queensland Busking Championships at Festival
- Community Concert
- Street Art
- Improved Multicultural Carnival
- International Band attending
- Promotion of Multicultural involvement in Grand Parade
- Colourful Carnival Characters
- The Flag Parade
- Winning Queens and Ambassadors from 1955 onwards in Grand Parade
- Introduction of Heritage Bank Family Entertainment Zone
- New sponsors enter into festival program
- Jo Desmond and Livio Regano confirmed as Channel 7 celebrities
- Volunteer registers increase in size.
With the traditional events planned by the current committee this will an enormous festival to deliver. Most important of all the activities is the interest by the community as volunteers. Volunteers can be from high school age through to seniors and support by as many people as possible will make this a festival to remember. Volunteers do not necessarily have to work on the main weekend of the festival as there are heaps of other tasks that can be done beforehand.
The festival is pleased to once again have support from the international volunteer group Youth With a Mission and their 40-strong group do an immense amount of work behind the scenes. It is hoped to add the usual 200 plus local volunteers to this workforce and volunteers can register by emailing email@example.com or phone Karol Pasin 0432 489 765. I look forward to a strong volunteer network joining in for the 2016 festival.